Be Cautious of Unguarded Machinery
Employee exposure to unguarded machinery causes over 18,000 amputations, abrasions, lacerations and crushing injuries every year. Despite all efforts to protect individuals from these hazards, some may not have been anticipated or correctly guarded. Even a small change in a machine’s usage can expose you and those around you to new risks.
The best protection against unanticipated risks is an effective hazard recognition process. Each PPC employee is a key player in the hazard recognition process and is expected to:
- Know how to recognize and inspect machine safeguards, and properly adjust them when necessary.
- Anticipate potential hazards before operating any type of equipment. Never assume that safeguards and warning signs will protect you from all potential hazards.
- Be aware of all moving parts and potentially dangerous work areas. Never reach into machinery if you’re uncertain about its safety.
- Be aware of the actions of co-workers. If you see someone doing something that could be dangerous, warn them immediately.
- Know how to report hazards. Inform PPC as soon as you identify unguarded machinery so it can be properly addressed.